SPOILER ALERT!

Forever

Forever - Maggie Stiefvater

In my post on the first two books of this wonderful trilogy – LingerShiver  – I said it was not often that a story moved me to tears these days and quoted Robert Frost’s “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader”.

The third book, Forever, did it again.

The last part of Forever  is so gripping, so moving, that I defy you to put the book down – or close your Kindle – after you have passed the 80% mark. By this time there are four separate characters you find yourself identifying with or at least rooting for and bowled over by, and each one’s fate hangs in the balance.

When this book opens, it is Grace who is the wolf and Sam the human who has to wait through the long, long winter for the weather to warm up and those wolves who still can to change back into their human form. And keeping Sam company in Beck’s house ( if you don’t know what I am talking about read the first two books) is drop-out rock megastar Cole StClair, who is managing in his own inimitable way to melt the ice-queen Isabel – whose father is organising a hunt with a helicopter "to wipe out these wolves” once and for all!

And Sam is suspected of kidnapping and being complicit in the death of two girls – Grace herself, and her friend Olivia, who had also become a wolf and was found dead in the forest near Beck’s house after shifting back into human form!

I’ve added a spoiler alert because I've given too much away, but read it anyway.

Definitely a contender for the best werewolf series I have ever come across, full of rounded and totally sympathetic characters, and all set in a world I would joyfully return to any time. (Another great set of werewolf tales is Alice Borchardt's The Silver Wolf and its sequels, but they are very much historical novels, whereas these are contemporary YA urban fantasy.)