Be Still, My Love

Be Still, My Love (Tess Schafer-Medium) - Deborah J Hughes, Robin Wolstenholme

This is a difficult book to review without spoilers. At the very beginning something occurs that it is better the reader knows nothing about when she opens the book for the first time. However ... as what occurs is stated explicitly in the blurb, I feel justified (albeit reluctantly!) in telling you that  when Tess's husband goes down the road in his car, with their dog, to pick up one or two things they need for the barbecue they are preparing, he never returns. A drunk driver smashed into his car killing him and the dog instantly.

But Tess is a medium. She has an angel guide whom she trusts completely. Or did. Now, suddenly, she loses her faith in her guide, and her faith in God. Or at least her belief that God is good, blaming Him for the death of her husband and her dog. (She seems just as upset about the dog as the husband!) And as a result of all this anger, she loses her ability to function as a medium.

A year later, still in deep mourning, and still raging at God, she is persuaded by her psychiatrist to go on vacation, and finds herself in a seriously haunted hotel.

The building had previously been the mansion home of a wealthy man and his daughter. This daughter, who had committed suicide following the death of her lover, is one of the ghosts. But there are others, and the others are dangerous. Ghosts are not dangerous, she protests. These are, however, as she soon learns from bitter experience. But are there living men, also, intent on causing further grief?

An enthralling ghost-story/love-story (yes, there is a man at the hotel - an artist - and her dead husband popping up in the background - hence the title); fascinating for anyone who, like me, is intrigued by the whole notion of ghosts and mediums. I shall definitely be reading the sequel.