SPOILER ALERT!

Irradiated

Irradiated (The Tunnel Trilogy Book 1) - S. Elliot Brandis

Not much time for reviews at the moment. I just want to give a brief mention to this book, Irradiated, and to Jenny Schwartz's The Icarus Plot (coming up next).

Irradiated was a Kindle Free and, as we all know they, like all self-published books, range from the highly professional and as good as anything brought out by the big publishing houses to utter rubbish. Irradiated, fortunately, is one of the former, and far better than many of the mediocre paperbacks gathering dust on the shelves of Smith's and Waterstones.

It is set in a dystopian post-nuclear-catastrophe future of mutants desperately trying to eke out an existence in the ruins of our "civilisation". (I put civilisation in quotes, sarcastically, but in fact when you compare it with the world they are living in, or with much of the all-too-real past, you have to admit that the world we live in is very civilised indeed.)

It is extremely well written in every respect, and highly recommended. My only gripe with it is [SPOILER COMING UP] that the heroine, Jade, a character I identified with totally from the word Go, dies at the end of the book. Yes, dies. Just like that. I'd been all ready to leap straight into the sequel , but a sequel without her? Perhaps she only seemed to die? I rushed to the blurb and reviews of the sequel (Degenerated). No, she had died.

So had my interest in the series.

You can't introduce a James Bond in the first book then kill him off and expect the series to go on quite happily without him.