The Girl Who Went Missing

The Girl Who Went Missing - Ace Varkey

Still no time at the moment for reviews (and not nearly enough for reading!) but I'll try to clear the backlog again with a few quick notes.

First, then, The Girl Who Went Missing is set in Mumbai (Bombay) and is the story of an American girl's search for her sister, who has disappeared while in India doing research on ancient Hindu temples. The author seems to know India well, and presents us with a very realistic portrayal of the trafficking of simple village girls from the provinces into Mumbai, ostensibly to work as maids in the houses of Bollywood film stars, but in fact destined for the red-light district, and in some cases to be sold to Arab traders for onward trafficking to the Gulf States.

It is basically a police procedural with, as I say, a fascinating setting, and I was very taken with the hero of the piece, Commisoner Oscar d'Costa. However, the style could be a bit zippier and the plot is too dependent on devices such as the two sisters both resolutely refusing to use mobile phones. Of course, the very existence of modern technology renders certain plots obsolete (unless you set your book in the past) but that is a challenge the writer must rise to; presenting the reader with a cop-out which is completely unrealistic is not good enough.