The Sun and the Moon

The Sun and the Moon (Wexford Family #2) - Patricia Ryan

Another by Patricia Ryan, author of Still Life with Murder, which I noted was "one of the best – and best written – historical crime novels I have ever come across".

When I began The Sun and the Moon, I didn't know it was a sequel. In fact, I didn't realise that until I had finished it and found I was being recommended Book 1 – Silken Threads. So don't let that put you off. It really does "stand alone".

I also thought it was going to be a medieval spy story, but it turned out to be much more than that. Spy story it certainly was – the hero, Hugh of Wexford, a sort of 12th-century James Bond, working for Henry II during his struggle against his Queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and their sons – but it is also a medieval love story which occasionally crosses genres yet again to become erotica. The long and detailed description of the gentle deflowering of a virgin is perfect, but there are a couple of other set-pieces – one overt BDSM scene – that strike me as perhaps gratuitous here, in this context. Only having read the one other book by Patricia Ryan before, I am not sure whether this kind of thing is characteristic. Maybe it is. In Still Life with Murder, there are frequent references to Nell's past life as a prostitute, but no flashbacks; perhaps there should have been. Yes, I believe now, having read this other book and seen how good she is at this kind of thing, that there should have been, that it would have filled out the background. So, on second thoughts, those scenes in this medieval story are not gratuitous after all. I've changed my mind.

I'm rambling here, but I am going to leave this as it is. Suffice it to say that while Patricia is not as at home in 12th-century Oxford and Southwark as she is in 19th-century Boston, Mass ("Bloody Hell!" seems hardly medieval – I'm more used to such colourful and authentic sounding phrases as "God's Bollocks!") this is another very good story, and while Hugh of Wexford is a bit stereotyped (the hard case with a heart of gold) Philippa of Paris, the virginal James Bond girl, is completely original.