Everyone Burns

Everyone Burns (Time, Blood and Karma, Book One) - John Dolan

Everyone burns, as the Buddha says, in their own way. Some burn with anger, some with lust, some with a desire for vengeance, some with fear ...

I like the Buddhist themes and atmosphere underlying this story, and I love the setting in Thailand (one of my favourite places). It was completely authentic. However, I found the protagonist, David Braddock, unconvincing, and most of the minor characters were cardboard cutouts. The only one who grabbed my attention as soon as she cropped up was Jingjai, but thereafter she remained in the background and finally was a disappointment - I won't tell you why, because you might want to read it, and it is worth reading if you like the setting as much as I do and want to spend a couple of evenings there.

Oh, and another thing. I quote: Do you know, by the way, that German is the only language in the world that has a word for 'pleasure derived from the misfortune of others'? Schadenfreude, That must tell you something. What it tells me is that John Dolan is prone to exaggeration - does he really claim to have checked all the other languages in the world? - and that he didn't think very carefully before coming up with this bit of nonsensical stereotyping. How about 'Gloating over the misfortunes of other people and other nations' as in "Our enemies are gloating over our ruin." (P. H. Gibbs)?